End of project: March 2017
The Canadian Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse is the proud recipient of the Family Violence Initiative Fund from the Department of Justice Canada. This fund “supports the development, implementation, testing and assessment of models, strategies and tools to improve the justice system's response to family violence. It also supports projects that raise public awareness of the issue and encourage public involvement in responding to family violence”. (learn more about the FVIF here)
This grant will enable CNPEA to conduct a review of existing material and to add key resources on the Hub about abuse of older adults in a family context. These new resources, paired with webinars and a communications campaign, will aim to raise awareness and will provide important information for stakeholders, victims, and their loved ones, about the laws and law enforcement response across Canada.
As part of this project, the CNPEA Hub will deliver
- Stand-alone resources about elder abuse in the context of family violence, from research to relevant laws, and law enforcement activities and programmes in each jurisdiction.
- Two webinars for professionals working with seniors about relevant laws, research, current trends, how to report elder abuse crimes to the police etc. Look out for our webinars in October 2016 and February 2017
Do you have information or resources you wish to share with CNPEA as part of this project?
Find all FVIF resources easily by using the list below, or search the tag "FVIF"
Resources - Family Violence Initiative
- Webinar #1 (Oct 20, 2016) - Addressing Elder Abuse Through Partnership between Family Services and Police Services
- Webinar #2 (Feb 26, 2017) - Intimate Partner Violence and Older Women
- New Report: Family violence against seniors (Charmaine Spencer)
- Finances and Families: Financial Abuse of Elders in the Family Environment (Rebecca Borthwick)
- The Chief Public Health Officer’s Report on the State of Public Health in Canada 2016: A focus on Family Violence in Canada
- I Want to Be Free - Older Women’s Right to Live Independently with Dignity
- Family Violence in Canada - A Statistical Profile (2013)
- The National Survey on the Mistreatment of Older Canadians, A Prevalence Study (2012-2015)
- PRACTICE TOOLS
- Integrated Police Response For Abused Seniors (IPRAS Model): Practice Guidelines for implementing the model
- Integrated Police Response for Abused Seniors (IPRAS): Online Toolkit
- The Practice of Intersectoral Teamwork between a Police Officer and a Practitioner from the Public or Non-Profit Health and Social Services Network - Practice Guide
- Bridging Aging and Women Abuse: A resource for service providers working with older women experiencing abuse
- Working with Older Survivors of Abuse: A framework for advocates
- COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT TOOLS
- LEGAL INFORMATION
- Adult Victims of Abuse Protocols by the Government of New Brunswick
This logo identifies Family Violence Initiative resources on the Hub. Look for this symbol and find other related tools by searching for the FVIF tag or consulting the list of available resources posted above.